Utica, NY – Alexa Parigi continued her impressive play tallying a pair of goals to carry the SUNY Canton women's hockey team to a 3-0 win at Utica College in non-league action on Wednesday evening.
The win is the third straight for the Roos and the team's first ever victory v. Utica College.
- Result: SUNY Canton 3, Utica 0
- Location: Utica Memorial Auditorium – Utica, NY
- Records: SUNY Canton (3-7-1) | Utica (3-7-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Parigi opened the scoring at 12:37 of the opening period on her third goal of the season and third in as many games. Meaghan Best fed the puck to Parigi at the puck. A Utica defenseman controlled the puck and appeared to be headed the other way but Parigi picked it off inside the blue line and fired a shot past the glove of Utica goaltender Bria Reilly.
- Neither team found the back of the net in the second frame as reigning Northeast Women's Hockey League (NEWHL) Goalie of the Week Sirena Alvarez stopped 26 shots over the first 40 minutes to keep the Roos on top 1-0 after two.
- Parigi, the reigning NEWHL Player of the Week, doubled the Canton lead at 8:37 of the third period. Best won the puck at the near boards back to Micayla Macintyre at the point. Her shot through traffic was blocked out in front and deflected right to Parigi at the near post who buried her second of the game.
- Natasha Simioni buried an insurance tally, her first collegiate goal, with 2:03 remaining for the 3-0 final. Breanna Bedborough picked up a helper on the Simioni marker.
- Alvarez finished with 29 saves recording her second consecutive shutout as she improves to 3-2-1 on the season.
- Reilly made 25 stops in the loss for the Pioneers.
- The win is the first for the Roos v. the Pioneers as Utica had won the previous eight meetings dating back to January 3, 2014.
The Roos return home when they host Franklin Pierce University in non-conference action on Friday at 3 p.m.