Rutland, VT – Jordan Emerson had a hand in both SUNY Canton goals and Sirena Alvarez posted her first collegiate win as the Roos women's hockey team earned a 2-1 non-league win v. Buffalo State College in the opening round of the Castleton Invitational on Saturday.
- Result: SUNY Canton 2, Buffalo State 1
- Location: Spartan Arena – Rutland, VT
- Records: SUNY Canton (1-7-1) | Buffalo State (2-10-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson led the Roos with a goal and assist, while Verity Lewis assisted both scores. Alexa Parigi also found the back of the net and Alvarez earned her first victory stopping 21 of the 22 shots she faced.
- Emerson got Canton off to a 1-0 lead with just five seconds left in the opening period off helpers from Breanna Bedborough and Lewis. Her first goal of the season came on the power play.
- The Bengals evened the score at one at 16:24 of the second period off the stick of Hannah Gallivan.
- Parigi buried the eventual power play game-winner with 1 minute, three seconds left in the middle period. Emerson and Lewis earned assists on the play.
- Canton was whistled for a pair of third period penalties but killed off both infractions to earn the win.
- The Roos special teams' units were impressive as the power play went 2-for-2 and the penalty killed went 4-for-4.
- Bri Gawronski made 34 stops in the loss for the Bengals.
The Roos are back in action on Sunday when they square off with Northland College in the championship game of the Castleton Invitational at 4 p.m.