MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – The Morrisville Mustangs women's ice hockey team gained momentum before heading into Northeast Women's Hockey League (NEWHL) action this weekend by picking up a key non-conference sweep over Neumann University by defeating the Knights 3-2 in overtime.
- Final Score: Morrisville 3, Neumann 2 OT (by period: Morrisville 1-1-0-1, Neumann 1-0-1-0)
- Location: Morrisville, N.Y.
- Records: Morrisville 6-5-1 (3-2-1 NEWHL), Neumann 7-5-0 (4-1-0 UCHC)
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The Mustangs got on the board first with Chyne Kennedy (Southwold, Ont.) moving the puck through the neutral zone to a streaking Maddison Devlin (Campbell River, B.C.) down the middle for the score at the 3:59 mark in the first period.
- Just over ten minutes later, the Knights evened the score as Katelyn Brown capitalized on a Morrisville defensive miscue.
- Tied at one goal each, the Mustangs entered the second period on the power play with an opportunity to take a one-goal advantage.
- Morrisville would in fact take the lead just 34 seconds into the second period as Kennedy's shot from the point ricocheted off of Rhys Brown (Kemptville, Ont.) and Mackenzie Lombardi (Hamilton Ont.) inside the left post. Lombardi was credited with the score, while Brown and Kennedy notched assists.
- The Mustangs held onto their one goal lead until the 9:12 mark in the third period. Katelyn Brown struck again for Neumann on the Knights' power play to knot the game back up.
- Morrisville was granted their own power play five minutes later, but they were unable to capitalize and the game headed into overtime.
- The Mustangs wasted little time picking up the game winner. Morrisville was able to set up their offense, working the puck around the outside looking for an opening.
- Devlin would be the one to find that opening, slipping a pass to a cutting Kennedy in front of the crease. Just beyond a shot on goal opportunity, Kennedy skated around the net and found a cutting Alana McDonald (Potsdam, N.Y.) who found the back of the net for the game-winner.
- Lacey Friesen (Marquette, Man.) picked up the win in net, recording nine saves.
- The Mustangs will hit the road for their first NEWHL action of 2020, facing off with the Cardinals from Plattsburgh State at 7 PM on Wednesday evening.