MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – The Morrisville Mustangs women's ice hockey team hit the ice for the first time in 2020 on Friday afternoon at home against the Neumann University Knights. The hosts fell behind early, but rallied back to defeat the Knights 4-2.
- Final Score: Morrisville 4, Neumann 2 (by period: Morrisville 0-3-1, Neumann 1-1-0)
- Location: Morrisville, N.Y.
- Records: Morrisville 5-5-1 (3-2-1 NEWHL), Neumann 7-4-0 (4-1-0 UCHC)
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The Knights started the scoring just over five minutes into the contest as Jeannie Padden picked up the tally.
- The two squads skated even for the remainder of the first period despite the Mustangs taking an 11-4 lead in shots on goal.
- Morrisville's offensive persistence paid off in the second, picking up two goals within the first 1:24 of play.
- Taylor Finnie (Kamloops, B.C.) evened the score at 1-1 with a one-timer from the right point for her second goal of the season just 45 seconds into the second period.
- Tessa Dobson (Moose Factory, Ont.) followed up quickly at the 1:24 mark, cleaning up in front of the crease to give Morrisville the 2-1 advantage.
- The lead would be short lived however, as Padden picked up her second goal of the game on a power play to tie the contest 2-2 at the 8:30 mark.
- The Mustangs would take the lead again at the 12:51 mark with a Mackenzie Lombardi (Hamilton, Ont.) goal. Cassie Suran (Freeport, Pa.) picked up the second assist after firing a shot from the point. Maddison Devlin (Campbell River, B.C.) collected the shot wide shot and found Lombardi with the centering pass to notch the first assist on the play.
- The Mustangs who were bested by the Knights' penalty kill earlier in the game, picked up a key insurance goal on a power play in the middle of the third.
- Alexziz Giannamore (Pittsburgh, Pa.) found the back of the net from the left faceoff circle at the 10:49 mark to give the Mustangs the 4-2 win.
- The Mustangs return to the ice tomorrow afternoon at 1 PM to complete the non-conference two-game series with Neumann.