BUFFALO, N.Y — Buffalo State scored a pair of power-play goals and successfully killed off all 11 shorthanded opportunities en route to a 4-0 victory over visiting Chatham today to close out the first semester of play.
FINAL SCORE: Buffalo State – 4, Chatham - 0
LOCATION: Ice Arena – Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Buffalo State (2-9-0), Chatham (5-5-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Jessica Carter (Scottsdale, AZ/Brightmont Acad.) and Lila Toczek (Pendleton, NY/Starpoint) had a goal and an assist each to lead the Bengals, and freshman Soleil Archambeault (London, ON/Medway) made 23 saves for the shutout in her first collegiate start.
- Natasha Steinle (Morrison, CO/CIHA) opened the scoring with the lone goal of the first period, jumping on a rebound for her sixth goal of the season.
- Carter netted her first of the season on the power play in the second period and Toczek's third of the season also on the power play on a third-chance rebound pushed the lead to 3-0 before the second intermission.
- Buffalo State killed off four more penalties in the third period and then sealed the win with Rianna Schacher's (Westminster, CO/Hill Murray) first collegiate goal into the empty net.
- Buffalo State outshot Chatham 29-23 and was 2 for 5 on the power play, while the Cougars were 0 for 11
FOR THE FOES
- Devon Strachan made 25 saves for Chatham.
Buffalo State will return to action after the New Year with a trip to the Castleton State Tournament on Jan. 4 and 5.