BUFFALO, N.Y. - Natasha Steinle (Morrison, CO/CIHA) scored in the third period to bring Buffalo State within one, but the Bengals could not complete the comeback, dropping a 2-1 non-conference decision this evening against visiting William Smith.
FINAL SCORE: William Smith – 2, Buffalo State - 1
LOCATION: Ice Arena – Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: William Smith (7-2-0), Buffalo State (1-8-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Buffalo State outshot the Herrons 9-7 in the opening 20 minutes, but found itself behind 1-0 at the first intermission on a rebound goal while both teams had a player in the penalty box.
- After another tight-checking period, William Smith was able to extend its lead to 2-0 in the closing minutes of the middle frame.
- Buffalo State finally broke through with 7:16 remaining when Steinle stole the puck in the Herrons' zone and quickly cut the net and wristed a shot into the top corner for her team-leading fifth goal of the season.
- The Bengals pulled their goalie for the final 1:31, but were unable to net the equalizer despite a some sustained pressure and a partial breakaway off a set play from the defensive zone.
- Each team finished the game with 25 shots on goal.
- Bri Gawronski (Dunkirk, NY/Mt. Mercy) made 23 saves for Buffalo State.
FOR THE FOES
- Kate Klimaszewski and Laura Hill were the goal-scorers for William Smith.
- Olivia Williams finished with 24 stops.
Buffalo State will host Chatham for a pair of non-league games on Dec. 6 and 7.