SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt.— Lila Toczek (Pendleton, NY/Starpoint) netted her first collegiate hat trick to lead visiting Buffalo State to a 5-1 victory over host St. Michael's today to conclude the Delta Hotels Burlington Classic.
FINAL SCORE: Buffalo State – 5, St. Michael's - 1
LOCATION: Cairns Arena – South Burlington, Vt.
RECORDS: Buffalo State (5-6-2), St. Michael's (3-9)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emma Ruggiero (Amherst, NY/Sacred Heart) added a goal and an assist, and Lauren Madden (Jamestown, NY/Jamestown) also scored for Buffalo State.
- Toczek gave the Bengals the lead midway through the first period with a shorthanded goal on a one timer off a 2-on-1 feed from Ruggiero.
- St. Michael's evened the score before the intermission, but Buffalo State took control with a pair of early goals in the second period.
- Toczek netted her second of the game just 1:19 into the frame, and Ruggiero scored an unassisted shorthanded goal just over two minutes later for her team-leading 11th of the year.
- Toczek completed the hat trick with a deflection off a point shot by Courtney Cavarello (N. Tonawanda, NY/Sweet Home) in the final minute of the second period.
- Madden extended the Bengals lead with her second goal of the season midway through the third period.
- Bri Gawronski (Dunkirk, NY/Mt. Mercy) finished with 24 saves in the victory as Buffalo State outshot the Purple Knights, 35-25.
FOR THE FOES
- Krista Ferrari scored for St. Michael's.
FOR THE BENGALS
- Ruggiero and Toczek were both named to the All-Tournament Team.
Buffalo State will play a pair of NEWHL games at nationally No. 2-ranked Plattsburgh next Saturday and Sunday.